You are legally required to file an IRS tax return if you meet certain income or dividend requirements. If you have not done so, you may be facing potential penalties or even criminal offenses. According to the IRS, their fiscal year runs from October 1 to September 30. If you have failed to file tax returns, a tax lawyer can help you in a few different ways, depending on your exact circumstances. Here are the ways a lawyer can help you.

Voluntary Compliance Via the Voluntary Disclosure Program

One of the ways a tax attorney can help you if you have unfilled tax returns is by helping you file your past due returns via a program known as the Voluntary Disclosure Program. This program allows you to file past-due tax returns with a penalty. Voluntarily admitting and correcting your mistake can help you avoid potential compliance issues with the IRS or potential criminal charges being filed against you.

Ensuring You Are Compliant With IRS Notices

If you have not filed IRS returns, the IRS may start to send you notices. A tax lawyer can help to ensure that you are compliant with those notices. This typically includes filing past-due tax returns as well as paying potential fines or assessments. This is typically the step the IRS takes before forcing compliance and making a determination as to how much taxes you owe on your own.

Assistance With Criminal Charges for Failing to File Tax Returns

The final way that a tax attorney can assist you is if you are criminally charged for failing to file tax returns. An attorney may be able to work with the IRS to take care of the past due tax returns or come up with a defense to help shield you from potential prosecution for this crime. This crime carries potential jail times and hefty fines, so it is serious and you need to take it seriously.

If you have unfiled tax returns, a tax lawyer can help you. Depending on your circumstances, they can help you file the tax returns via the Voluntary Disclosure Program, help ensure you are compliant if the IRS sends notices in regards to unfiled returns, and help you if you are criminally charged for failing to file tax returns. If you have tax returns that you have not filed, our tax attorneys can assist you. Contact us today to learn more.